Cool Maths Websites
Cool Math Websites for Kids
discover excellent Math Websites.
- How good are the games for teaching skills?
- Is their a place for 'drill and practice'?
- Does the site really teach what it says it does?
2. Send the students to explore the Internet to find a math website they think they would benefit from. NB I find it helps to brainstorm possible search terms before they begin.
3. Have the children write a blog post review on the site they discover.
The review may contain comments in relation to:
- Why do you think this is such a 'cool math website'?
- What knowledge is presented?
- How is this site better than traditional book learning?
- How is the site presenting skills in a way that couldn't normally be done in the classroom?
- How has the site made use of multimedia technologies?
- Is the language used child friendly but not 'dumbed down'?
- Can you choose a level of skill to meet your needs?
- How might the site foster positive attitudes towards learning math?
- Does the use of graphics help you learn maths or distract you?
- Is this a website you can work on by yourself or do you need a way to check what you are learning?
4. Create your own class 'Star Rating System' to rate websites.
Just a Little Aside - This is a great way to introduce class teachers to the variety of math resources available on the Internet. It can show them a way of 'working smarter not harder' and the task can also prompt a lot of discussion on what constitutes 'Quality Teaching' in Mathematics.